Node Component Architecture
Table of contents
What is a FireFly Node?
The core architecture of a FireFly node can be broken down into the following three areas:
- The various runtimes encapsulating the node.
- The core runtime responsibilities and pluggable elements.
- The actual code running inside the node.
What fundamentally is a node - left side of the above diagram.
- It is a collection of multiple runtimes with a single unified HTTPS/Websocket API (exposed by the Core).
- It has a private database, containing your private data, and data received from others in the network.
- It has connectivity out to other parties in the network, through runtimes (Blockchain, Shared Filesystems, Messaging etc.).
Responsibilities & Pluggable Elements
What are the core runtime responsibilities, and pluggable elements - right side of the above diagram.
- The core elements of function that FireFly performs, and which runtime is responsible.
- This means some insight into core itself, and the jobs it performs, but not full code structure.
- More importantly, what the split of responsibilities is between
Connectorsare the bridging runtimes, that know how to talk to a particular runtime.
- They run separately to the core (like a microservice architecture of an app).
- They can be written in any language (not just Go) - Java, TypeScript, Rust, Python, .NET etc.
- They can use any network transport (not just HTTPS/Websockets) - GRPC, AMQP, UDP etc.
- They connect to the core with a Golang shim - see separate Plugin Architecture discussion.
- In some special cases (like the Database) the Golang shim does not need a connector runtime.
Infrastructure Runtimesare the core runtimes for multi-party system activities.
- Blockchain nodes - Ethereum (Hyperledger Besu, Quorum, Geth), Hyperledger Fabric, Corda etc.
- Shared strorage - IPFS etc.
- Database - PostreSQL, CouchDB etc.
What is the code structure inside the core.
- The README.md is the reference for this.
- Developers contributing to FireFly, on the core, or building new plugins, need this level of detail.
- A reconciliation is underway to ensure the medium-level view correlates well with this code structure.